Nothing is more romantic than a wedding on a tropical island. And Cuba has it all – theme weddings; splashy weddings; exotic weddings; quiet weddings; combined weddings and honeymoons.

Your travel agent and Cuban wedding planners can help you design a perfect day. Here are a few pointers to help you get started.

  • If you have never been married before, all you need is a passport that is valid throughout your stay in Cuba, and a tourist card (available from a travel agent, airline or the Cuban consulate).
  • If either the bride or groom has been married before, the previously married person must, in addition to the valid passport and tourist card, also produce the following documents:

if divorced: his/her birth certificate and Certificate of Divorce;
if widowed: his/her birth certificate, Certificate of Marriage and Certificate of Spouse’s Death.

Have your birth certificate and any divorce/marriage/death documents translated into Spanish and certified by a notary public and legalized by the Cuban consul in your country (service fee applies).

  • In addition, you must:

Create a sheet that lists your names, home address, occupations, level of education, nationality and the full names of your parents, living or deceased.
Attach the photo page of your passport to this sheet.
Fax copies of all documentation (including the extras described above if you have been married before) in both English and Spanish to your hotel in Cuba at least three weeks before your arrival there.
Bring all your original documents with you.

Your marriage will be formalized in the name stated on your passport. Your passport must therefore be correct, and the name on your passport must match that on all your other documents.

After your wedding, your Marriage Certificate will be prepared as quickly as possible and either given to you before you leave (time permitting) or couriered at the hotel’s expense to the home address on your documents. Your marriage is legalized by your Embassy in Havana and the Cuban Foreign Affairs department.

For more information, contact the Cuban Consulate.